- 2005~2010North Carolina State University Ph.D. - Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 1998~2000Seoul National University M.S. – Electrical Engineering
- 1994~1998Seoul National University B.S. – Electrical Engineering
- 2017~2018U.S. Naval Research Laboratory – Research Physicist (with KeyW Corp.)
- 2013~2017U.S. Naval Research Laboratory – U.S. National Research Council Research Associate
- 2010~2013North Carolina State University – Postdoctoral Research Scholar
- Semiconductor Device Physics and Solid State Physics
- Emerging-Material Electronic and Quantum Device
- Journal Papers
-Ultra-broadband photodetectors based on epitaxial graphene quantum dots, Nanophotonics 7, 735-740 (2018)
– Hot electron inelastic scattering and transmission across graphene surfaces, J. Appl. Phys. 121, 253101 (2017) – cover paper and featured article.
– Universal conformal ultrathin dielectrics on epitaxial graphene enabled by a graphene oxide seed layer, Appl. Phys. Lett. 110, 013106 (2017)
– Hot-Electron Transistors for Terahertz Operation Based on Two-Dimensional Crystal Heterostructures, Phys. Rev. Applied 5, 054006 (2014)
– Thermal transport properties of metal/MoS2 interfaces from first principles, J. Appl. Phys. 116, 034302 (2014)
– Toward stimulated interaction of surface phonon polaritons, J. Appl. Phys. 114, 233508 (2013)
– First-principles calculation of thermal transport in metal/graphene systems, Phys. Rev. B 87, 165410 (2013)
– Two Dimensional Crystal Tunneling Devices for THz Operation, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 263112 (2012)
– Phonon Engineering in Nanostructures: Controlling Interfacial Thermal Resistance in Graphene/Dielectric Systems, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 113111 (2012)
– Unusual Magnetoresistance in a Topological Insulator with a Single Ferromagnetic Barrier, Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 243112 (2011)
– Strong Substrate effects of Joule Heating in Graphene, Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 233114 (2011)
– Band Engineering and Magnetic Doping of Epitaxial Graphene on SiC (0001), Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 146801 (2010)
– Quasi-Coherent Thermal Emission in the Terahertz by Doped Semiconductors, IEEE Sensors Journal 10, 443 (2010)
– First-principles analysis of lattice thermal conductivity in monolayer and bilayer graphene, Phys. Rev. B 80, 33406 (2009)
– Terahertz emission mediated by surface plasmon polaritons in doped semiconductors with surface grating, J. Appl. Phys. 103, 056101 (2008)
– Quasimonochromatic emission spectra in the near field by polar semiconductor thermal sources, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 113106 (2007)
- Conference Proceedings
– CNTs-Insulator-Semiconductor System for Chemical and Biological Sensor Applications, NSTI- Nanotech 1, 464 (2005)
- Invited Talk or Presentations
– Two-Dimensional Crystal Heterostructures for Terahertz Applications, The 19th American Conference on Crystal Growth and Epitaxy, Keystone, Colorado, United States, Jul 21 – 26 (2013) – Invited talk
– Turning it off: towards graphene based vertical transistors for realistic applications, 11th European Conference on Silicon Carbide & Related Materials, Halkidiki, Greece, Sep 25 -29 (2016)
– Recent Progress on Epitaxial Graphene Detectors Operating from the GHz to THz range, 5th International Symposium on graphene devices (ISGD-5), Brisbane, Australia, Jul 11 -14 (2016)
– Planar graphene vacuum transistor performance potential, 29th International Vacuum Nanoelectronics Conference (IVNC), Vancouver, Canada, Jul 11 -15 (2016)
– Electron/Hole-phonon scattering and intrinsic carrier mobility in 2D transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs), American Physical Society March Meeting 2014, Denver, Colorado, United States, Mar 3 – 7 (2014).
– Nanoscale Thermal Transport in Graphene Interfaces, American Physical Society March Meeting 2012, Boston, Massachusetts, United States, Feb 27 – Mar 2 (2012).
– Nanoscale Phonon/Heat Transport in Graphene Interfaces, the TechCon2011, Austin, Texas, United States, Sep 12-13 (2011).
– Thermal Resistance in Graphene/Substrate Interfaces, the TechCon2010, Austin, Texas, United States, Sep 13-14 (2010).
– Band Engineering and Magnetic Doping of Epitaxial Graphene on SiC (0001), American Physical Society March Meeting 2011, Portland, Oregon, United States, Mar 15 – 19 (2011).
– Thermal transport in graphitic nanostructures: Analytic force constants and first principles calculations, American Physical Society March Meeting, Portland, Oregon, United States, Mar 15 – 19 (2011).
– Band Engineering and Magnetic Doping of Epitaxial Graphene on SiC (0001), Graphene Week 2010, College Park, Maryland, United States, Apr 19-23 (2010).
– Directional Terahertz Thermal Emission by Doped Semiconductors with Surface Grating, International Symposium on Spectral Sensing Research (ISSSR), Hoboken, New Jersey, United States, Jun 23-27 (2008).
– A New Energy Conversion Mechanism Using Near Field THz Thermal Emission, URSI 2007 North American Radio Science Meeting, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Jul 22-26 (2007).